Van Veghten House
Built in the early 1700s, the Van Veghten House served as headquarters for Quartermaster General Nathaniel Green during the Middlebrook Cantonment of 1778-1779. It was originally a brick one and one half story dwelling that was widened and enlarged to two and one half stories, probably prior to the Revolution. In the late 1830s the home was updated …
Cross Estate Gardens
Tucked away along the headwaters of the Passaic River, the Cross Estate Gardens go back to the early years of the twentieth century when grand country mansions were built as summer retreats in the Somerset Hills. These gardens provide a glimpse into this lifestyle and history.
Decorated seasonally, this walking street connects Main Street to parking and Somerville Train Station.
Griggstown Mule Tender’s Barracks
The Long House was believed to have been constructed by Cornelius Simonson as a grain storage facility in the second quarter of the 19th century. At one time the building served as a store, post office and interpretive center. Plans are underway to restore the building and again use it as an interpretive center.
Griggstown Bridgetender’s House
Built circa 1834 when the D&R Canal was constructed, this structure housed the bridgetender and his family. In the early days of the Canal there were drawbridges which had to be raised in order to allow the mules and boats to pass along the canal. The Griggstown Bridgetender’s House is a good example of a …
Nevius Street Bridge
The Nevius Street Bridge is a three hundred foot long, two-span, double-intersection Pratt through-truss bridge. It is the last double-intersection Pratt truss bridge and the oldest metal-truss bridge in the county, and was constructed in 1886 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio. The Nevius Street Bridge is now a walking area maintained …
Washington Valley Park
Washington Valley Park consists of approximately 719 acres that lie along the First Watchung Ridge in Bridgewater Township. The park is located between the first and second Watchung Mountains at the geographic center of Somerset County. It consists of Pine and Hemlock forests, open freshwater wetland marshes, impressive rock outcroppings, numerous historic features and a …
Colonial Park, Rose Garden
The Rudolf W. van der Goot Rose Garden is one acre in size and contains more than 3,000 roses of 325 varieties. As an accredited All-America Rose Selections (AARS) display garden, it is entitled to display AARS award-winning roses one year before their release to the public. The garden was named in honor of Rudolf …